Joseph Picone, Ph.D.
|Professor and Chair|
1. Name and Academic Rank:
- Joseph Picone
- Professor and Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering
2. Degrees with fields, institution and date:
- BSEE, Illinois Institute of Technology, 1979.
- MSEE, Illinois Institute of Technology, 1980.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, 1983.
3. Number of years of service on this faculty:
- 07/2009– Present: Professor and Chair
4. Other Related Experience:
- 08/2000 – 06/2009: Professor, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, USA
- 08/1994 – 08/2000: Associate Professor, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, USA
- 01/2005 – 12/2007: Sabbatical, National Security Agency, Fort Meade, Maryland, USA
- 09/1987 – 08/1994: Member of Tech., Texas Instruments, Dallas, Texas, USA
- 09/1985 – 08/1987: Member of Tech. Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, Ill., USA
- 09/1983 – 08/1985: Member of Technical Staff, Texas Instruments, Dallas, Texas, USA
- 08/1991 – 07/1991: Adjunct Professor, University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
- 01/1986 – 08/1987: Adjunct Professor, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Ill., USA
5. Consulting, Patents, Copyrights:
- 09/2008 – Present: MIT Lincoln Laboratories, Lexington, Massachusetts, USA
- 10/2008 – 12/2009: Radiance Systems, Inc., Oxford, Mississippi, USA
- G.L. Lazarou, R. Lewis, W. Jenkins, Z. Rowland and J. Picone, “Vehicle Position and Performance Tracking System Using Wireless Communication,” US Patent Application No. 20060161315, July 20, 2006 (provisional patent granted).
- J. Picone and B.J. Wheatley, “Voice Log-In Using Spoken Name Input,” US Patent No. 5293452, March 8, 1994.
- J. Picone, T. Staples, K. Kondo, N. Arai, “Processing System of Japanese Language,” Japanese Patent No. TIJ-18107, June 29, 1993.
- B.J. Wheatley and J. Picone, “Voice Recognition of Proper Names Using Text-Derived Recognition Models,” US Patent No. 5212730, May 18, 1993.
- C. Hemphill and J. Picone, “A Chart Parser for Stochastic Unification Grammars,” US Patent No. 4984178, January 8, 1991.
- W.T. Hartwell and J. Picone, “Automatic Speech Recognition Using Echo Cancellation,” US Patent No. 4914692, April 3, 1990.
- W.T. Hartwell, J. Picone, and D.P. Prezas, “A Digital Speech Coder With Different Excitation Types,” US Patent No. 4912764, March 27, 1990.
- J. Picone and D.P. Prezas, “A Parallel Processing Pitch Detector,” US Patent No. 4879748, November 7, 1989.
- J. Picone and G.R. Doddington, “A Very Low Rate Speech Encoder and Decoder,” US Patent No. 4815134, March 21, 1989.
6. States in which registered:
7. Principle publications in the last five years:
- M. Crocker, G. Lazarou, J. Baca and J. Picone, “A Bandwidth Determination Method for IPv6‑based Networks,” International Journal of Computers and Applications, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 109-118, 2009.
- S. Srinivasan, T. Ma, D. May, G. Lazarou and J. Picone, “Nonlinear Statistical Modeling of Speech,” presented at the 29th International Workshop on Bayesian Inference and Maximum Entropy Methods in Science and Engineering (MaxEnt2009), Oxford, MS, USA, July 2009.
- M. S. Srinivasan, T. Ma, D. May, G. Lazarou and J. Picone, “Nonlinear Mixture Autoregressive Hidden Markov Models For Speech Recognition,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, pp. 960-963, Brisbane, Australia, September 2008.
- G.Y. Lazarou, J. Li and J. Picone, “A Cluster-Based Power-Efficient MAC Scheme for Sensor Networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1017-1030, September2007.
- H. Greeley, J. Berg, E. Friets, J. Wilson, G. Greenough, J. Picone, J. Whitmore and T. Nesthus, “Fatigue Estimation Using Voice Analysis,” Behavioral Research Methods, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 610-619, August 2007.
- S. Prasad, S. Srinivasan, M. Pannuri, G. Lazarou and J. Picone, “Nonlinear Dynamical Invariants for Speech Recognition,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, pp. 2518-2521, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, September 2006.
8. Scientific and Professional Societies of which a member:
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE): Stu’1980, M’1983, SM’1990
- Etta Kappa Nu (HKN), 1995 – Present
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE), 1998 – Present
9. Honors and awards:
- Hearin Eminent Scholar, Mississippi State University, 2001-2008
- Hearin-Hess Professor of Engineering, Mississippi State University, 1995-1996,1998-1999
- Computer Science Center Outstanding Achievement Award, Texas Instruments, 1991
10. Institutional and professional service in last five years:
- Department Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2009 – Present
- Member, Sabbatical Review Committee, 2009 – Present
- Associate Editor, EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech and Music Processing.
- Frequent reviewer for several National Science Foundation panels on Human Language Technology and related areas.
- Frequent reviewer for the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing(and its predecessors), Speech Communication, J. of the Acoust. Soc. Of America, and Computers, Speech, and Lang.
11. Professional development activities in the last five years
- ECEDHA Mid-Atlantic Annual Meeting (2009 – Present).
- Various NSF workshops on education, graduate student training and research.
- Sabbatical at the National Security Agency (1/2005 – 12/2007).
- INTERSPEECH, Antwerp, Belgium (August 2007).
12. Percentage of time available for research or scholarly activities: 10%
Percentage of time committed to the program: 100%