Seong G. Kong , Ph.D.
|Electrical & Computer Engineering|
|Webpage:||Image Processing and Pattern Recognition Laboratory|
- Seong Kong
- Associate Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator, Electrical and Computer Engineering
2. Degrees with fields, institution and date:
- BSEE, Seoul National University, 1982.
- MSEE, Seoul National University, 1987.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1991.
3. Number of years of service on this faculty:
- 09/2007– Present: Associate Professor
4. Other Related Experience:
- 01/2002 – 07/2007: Associate Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
- 08/2000 – 07/2001: Sabbatical, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
- 03/1996 – 01/2002: Associate Professor, Soongsil University, Seoul, South Korea
- 03/1992 – 02/1996: Assistant Professor, Soongsil University, Seoul, South Korea
· 08/1985 – 07/1987: Researcher, Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute, Daejeon, South Korea
5. Consulting, Patents, Copyrights:
6. States in which registered: None
7. Principle publications in the last five years:
- Z. Du, Y. Jeong, M. K. Jeong, and S. G. Kong, “Multidimensional Local Spatial Autocorrelation Measure for Integrating Spatial and Spectral Information in Hyperspectral Image Band Selection,” in print, Applied Intelligence, 2011.
- Y. Zhao, L. Zhang, and S. G. Kong, “Band Subset Based Clustering and Fusion for Hyperspectral Imagery Classification,” in print, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 2011.
- C. Ryu, S. G. Kong, and H. Kim, “Enhancement of Feature Extraction for Low-Quality Fingerprint Images using Stochastic Resonance,” Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 32, pp.107-113, 2011.
- I. S. Kim, H. S. Choi, K. M. Yi, J. Y. Choi, and S. G. Kong, “Intelligent Visual Surveillance – A Survey,” International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp.926-939, October 2010.
- C. Ryu and S. G. Kong, “Boosting Terahertz Radiation in THz-TDS using Continuous-Wave Laser,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 5, pp.359-360, March 4, 2010.
- C. Ryu and S. G. Kong, “Atmospheric Degradation Correction of Terahertz Beams using Multiscale Signal Restoration,” Applied Optics, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp.927-935, February 2010.
- S. G. Kong and D. H. Wu, “Signal Restoration from Atmospheric Degradation in Terahertz Spectroscopy,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, No. 11, 113105 (6 pages), June 2008.
- W. Jiang and S. G. Kong, “Block-based Neural Networks for Personalized ECG Signal Classification,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp.1750-1761, 2007.
- W. Jiang and S. G. Kong, “A Least-Squares Learning for Block-based Neural Networks,” Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems, Vol.14, No. S1, pp.242-247, 2007.
- Z. Du, M. K. Jeong, and S. G. Kong, “Band Selection of Hyperspectral Images for Automatic Detection of Poultry Skin Tumors,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp.332-339, July 2007.
- S. G. Kong, J. Heo, F. Boughorbel, Y. Zheng, B. R. Abidi, A. Koschan, M. Yi, and M. A. Abidi, “Multiscale Fusion of Visible and Thermal IR Images for Illumination-Invariant Face Recognition,” International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp.215-233, 2007.
- P. Park, D. J. Choi, and S. G. Kong, “Output Feedback Variable Structure Control for Linear Systems with Uncertainties and Disturbances,” Automatica, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp.72-79, 2007.
- S. G. Kong, M. Martin, and T. Vo-Dinh, “Hyperspectral Fluorescence Imaging for Mouse Skin Tumor Detection” ETRI Journal, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp.770-776, December 2006.
8. Scientific and Professional Societies of which a member:
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE): Stu’1987, M’1991, SM’2002
9. Honors and awards:
- Summer Faculty Research Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, 2006-2007, 2009
- Most Cited Paper Award, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, 2007, 2008
- Honorable Mention Paper Award, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, 2005
- Professional Development Award, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2004
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Workshop on Object Tracking and Classification Beyond the Visible Spectrum, 2004
- Award for Academic Excellence, Korea Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems Society, 2000
10. Institutional and professional service in last five years:
- Graduate Program Coordinator, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2008 – Present
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Advances in Intelligent Visual Surveillance Systems, International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems.
- Chair, Symposium on Advances in Homeland Security and Personal Safety, UKC’2009, Raleigh, NC.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks.
- Frequent reviewer for several National Science Foundation panels.
- Frequent reviewer for the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Pattern Recognition, Pattern Recognition Letters.
11. Professional development activities in the last five years:
12. Percentage of time available for research or scholarly activities:
Percentage of time committed to the program: