John Helferty, Ph.D.
|Electrical and Computer Engineering|
1. Name and Academic Rank:
- John J. Helferty
- Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
2. Degrees with fields, institution and date:
- BSEE, Temple University, 1983.
- MSEE, Drexel, 1984.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Drexel University, 1988.
3. Number of years of service on this faculty:
- 1993 – Present: Associate Professor
- 1998 – 2004: Chairperson
- 1997 – 1998: Acting Chairperson
- 1987 – 1993: Assistant Professor
4. Other Related Experience:
- 01/1991 – 12/1991: ASEE Summer faculty fellow, California Institute of Technology, USA
- 01/1990 – 12/1990: ASEE Summer faculty fellow, California Institute of Technology, USA
- 01/1989 – 12/1989: Summer faculty fellow, Naval Air Development Center, Warminster, PA, USA
- 01/1988 – 12/1988: Summer faculty fellow, Naval Air Development Center, Warminster, PA, USA
5. Consulting, Patents, Copyrights:
6. States in which registered:
7. Principle publications in the last five years:
8. Scientific and Professional Societies of which a member:
9. Honors and awards:
- College of Engineering Alumni Association Teaching Award, 2007.
- Pennsylvania George Washington Carver Science Award, 2004
- Temple University Lindback Award, 1998.
- State of Pennsylvania Initiative Assistive Technology Award, 2001.
10. Institutional and professional service in last five years:
- College representative to the science technology, engineering and mathematics, University committee lecture series, 2009 – Present
- Number of review committees for the Temple University’s Great Teachers award, 2007 – 2010
- Director of the student space exploration and environmental systems laboratory, 2010 – Present.
11. Professional development activities in the last five years: None
12. Percentage of time available for research or scholarly activities: 25%
Percentage of time committed to the program: 75%