David M. Kargbo
|Civil and Environmental Engineering|
- University of Nebraska (Ph.D; Agronomy/Soil Science; 1984)
- University of Nebraska (M.S.; Agronomy/Soil Science; 1981)
- University of Sieera Leone (B.S. with Honors; Chemistry & Geology; 1976)
My research interest is the broad area of sustainability and using advanced nanotechnology tools to evaluate environmental and human health impact. This includes: soil screening for protection of human health and the environment; environmental implications of hydraulic fracturing for extraction of natural gas; biodiesel production from wastewater sludges; predicting and reducing the impact of acid generation from mining operation; and the sustainable use waste ash to clean up contaminated environments.
- Kargbo, D.M. (2011). Soil screening and remediation goals toolkit. Ver. 2.1. US Environmental Protection Agency, Philadelphia, PA
- Kargbo, D.M. (2010). Biodiesel production from municipal sewage sludges. Energy Fuels 2010, 24, 2791–2794.
- Kargbo, D.M., R.G. Wilhelm, D.J. Campbell, and S.R. Al-Abed (2010). Natural gas plays in the Marcellus Shale: challenges and potential opportunities. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010, 44, 5679–5684.
- Chatterjee, S. and Kargbo, D.M. (2010). Divalent Cd and Zn sequestration on calcite surfaces using AFM, SEM, and kinetic studies. J. Environ. Engineering. In review.
- Kargbo, D.M. (2009). Soil screening and remediation goals toolkit. Ver. 2.0. US Environmental Protection Agency, Philadelphia, PA
- Kargbo, D.M. (2006). Soil screening and remediation goals toolkit. Ver. 1.0. US Environmental Protection Agency, Philadelphia, PA
- Kargbo, D.M., and S. Chatterjee. (2005). Stability of silicate coatings on pyrite surfaces in a low pH environment. J. Environ. Engineering, (131), 9, 1340-1349
- Kargbo, D.M., L. Levin, K. Pattanaik, and J. He. (2005). Zeolite Synthesis from Combined MSWC Ash: A New Era in Ash Utilization. NAWTEC 13, p. xx-xx.
- Kargbo, D.M, and Jiren He. (2004). A simple accelerated rock weathering method to predict acid generation kinetics. Environ. Geol, 46:775-783.
- Kargbo, D.M., G. Atallah, and S. Chatterjee (2004). Inhibition of pyrite oxidation by a phospholipid in the presence of silicate. Environ. Sci. & Technol. 2004, 38:3432-3441.
- Kargbo, D.M., and S. Chatterjee. (2004). Contribution of iron hydroxy complex to the suppression of pyrite oxidation by silicates and bi-layer lipids Geochim et Cosmochim Acta 68(11), 129.
- Kargbo, D.M. (2004). A new method to synthesize zeolites from municipal solid waste combustion ash. Journal Solid Waste Tech. & Mgt., 30 (2):76-80.
- Karsten Millrath, Frank J. Roethel, and D.M. Kargbo (2004). Waste-to-Energy Residues – The search for beneficial uses. NAWTEC 12, p. 75-82.
- Kargbo, D. M. (1994). Chemical contaminant reactions and the assessment of soil cleanup levels for the protection of ground water. Environ. Geol, 23:105-113.
- Kargbo, D. M., D. S. Fanning, H. I. Inyang, and R. W. Duell (1993). The environmental significance of acid sulfate clays as waste covers. Environ. Geol, 22:218-226.
- Kargbo, D. M., Skopp, J. and D. Knudsen (1991)Control of nutrient mixing and uptake by irrigation frequency and relative humidity. Agron. J. 83:1023-1028.
- Biodiesel production from wastes
- Fate and trasport of chemicals in hydraulic fracturing fluids
- Development of a new accelerated rock weathering method to predict acid generation kinetics
- Reclamation of upper Shamokin Creek Basin impacted by acid mine drainage
- Soil Screening & Remediation Goal (SSRG) ToolKit development
- Surface geochemistry and nanotechnology
Awards, Honors, Scholarships
- Gold Medal by the USEPA for the complex mine study, negotiations, and public process necessary to protect the Appalachian public and ecological health (2011)
- Scientific and Technological Achievement Award by the USEPA for outstanding peer-reviewed and published scientific work with national and international impact (2012)
- Inducted into Marquis “Who Is Who In America” (2010)
- Bronze Medal for outstanding contribution to the research, technology transfer, outreach, and management of the Hazardous Substance Research Program (2003)
- US EPA Instructor of the Year (1998)
- Fellow, Institute of Environmental Studies, Univ. of Pennsylvania (1994)
- US EPA Sustained Superior Performance Awards (1994-1995)
- Sustained Superior Performance Award, US EPA (1993)
- US EPA Special Act Award (1992-1993)
- US EPA Distinguished Instructor Award (1991)
- Yearly Achievement Award, Department of Ecology, Washington (1989)
- Regents’ Fellowship Award, University of Nebraska (1981)
- United Nations Fellowship Award (1979)